Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Good Guacamole Salad , yes, you make it yourself!

One of the questions I am getting more and more frequently at work, really troubles me about the disconnect people have with the food they eat!
My job is to prepare recipes and offer customers a copy of the recipe and a sample to taste so that they may determine whether or not they would like to prepare the recipe at home. They can alter it to suit their own preferences, but the basic idea is offered at my work station along with all the ingredients to prepare it as is.

The response which troubles me is,"Does this come in a bag or box or can?" When I try to explain how simple it is to prepare (and most of our recipes are quick and easy), I'm met with a blank stare. "I don't cook, why don't you sell this ready made"? My return stare is just as blank..."why would I have a recipe, raw ingredients and even a job if this were ready-made?"

Fortunately, most of my customers enjoy food, and many either know or are eager to learn about real food in it's pristine form.

The following is a basic recipe which one can embellish with fresh food, OR food from a can or bag with equal success. Have fun!

GOOD GUACAMOLE SALAD

8-12 ounces romaine and butter lettuces chopped (bag, ok)
1 jalapeno pepper, minced
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2-3 avocados, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
salt and pepper to taste
2 limes
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (sorry Rachel, I say, XVOO)
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Spread lettuces onto a platter and drizzle with 1/2 olive oil
Add chopped jalapeno, tomatoes, onion and avocado to a bowl. Toss with cumin, salt and pepper and cilantro. Squeeze juice of 1 lime over all and drizzle with a little oil.
Top lettuces with this mixture and toss.

ADD: kernels from 2 ears of corn, grilled OR 1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup cooked black beans homemade OR from a can, rinsed
1 pound poached or grilled shrimp OR cooked shrimp from a bag
Arrange these around or on top of salad and drizzle with oil and squeeze juice of remaining lime over all.

May garnish with more freshly sliced avocado and tomatoes and add a dash of hot sauce!

Oh and by the way, Happy Cinco de Mayo!

No comments:

Post a Comment